Friday, April 25, 2008

Yummy for the Tummy

Just for the record- I am no expert in the kitchen. But I have made a new goal, which is to try a new recipe for dinner every Monday, since I have that day off of work and have time to prepare. The rest of the week, the menu is usually very simple, as I don't get home from work until at leat 6:00 on early days.
Anyway, I made a dish a few weeks ago that was a big hit...and it looked BEAUTIFUL!!! Like it came straight out of a magazine. Brad was so impressed, he snapped pics and told me it was "post-worthy". Indeed.
A lot of these ingredients are staples for most- I did a little substituting as well. This makes 8 servings, which it really is wonderful as left overs!
I served the casserole with a side of parmesan risotto (just an idea :)



Parmesan Crescent-Topped Chicken A La King

Prep Time: 40 minutes; Start to finish: 1 hour
Per Serving: 310 calories, 2g Dietary Fiber, 13g Fat
Ingredients-Casserole:
2 tbsp butter
1 1/2 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 1/2 cups carrot strips (I used baby carrots, cut up)
1 1/2 cups fresh green beans or Green Giant Frzen Cut Green Beans (I used a can of Del Monte canned beans)
1 cup thin red bell pepper strips (1 medium)
1/2 cup sliced green onions (I am not a fan of these, so I used half a sweet onion)
1/2 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 (14.5 oz) can ready-to-serve chicken broth
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
*I also used frozen peas and fresh mushrooms I had on hand

Topping:
1 (8 oz.) can Refrigerated Crescent Dinner Rolls
1 egg white, beaten
2 tbsp grated Parmesan cheese

Preparation Directions:
1. Heat oven to 375 degrees. In large skillet, melt 2 tbsp butter over med-high heat.
Add chicken; cook and stir 3 minutes. Add carrots, green beans, bell pepper and onions; cover and cook until chicken is no longer pink and vegetables are crisp-tender, stirring occasionally.

2. Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level off. Add flour, Italian seasoning, salt and pepper to skillet. Stir in broth and milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Spoon into ungreased 2 1/2 quart oval casserole or 13x9" (3 quart) baking dish.

3. Separate dough into 8 triangles. Starting at short side of triangle, roll each triangle up halfway. Arrange over hot chicken mixture with tips toward center. DO NOT OVERLAP. Brush crescent rolls with egg white; sprinkle with 2 tbsp Parmesan cheese.

4. Bake ar 375 degrees for 15-20 minutes or until crescent rolls are golden brown.

3 comments:

Brad Flaherty said...

This was de-lish!

Breezy said...

Dude! Keep the pics and recipes comin'! I like this, 1 meal a week. I can handle that break from our old standbys. Do your very own Rachel Ray thang girl! I'll be looking forward to my next Monday night dinner with the Flaherty's!

CindyLooHoo said...

Ok...so I slacked today. Resorted to cooking one of my meals from my Dream Dinners sessions last week. I will definitely be adding a new recipe for next Monday, so stay tuned...