Work for me is really going great! For those of you who have no idea what I do for a living, I will start at the beginning.
I started with Peerless Imported Rugs upon making the move to Chicago. I was hired as a Project Manager for the Contract Division of the company, which was quite different than what I had been used to. Before, I was dealing with mainly retail and builders, selling all types of flooring. Now, I was in charge of handling HUGE projects, consisting of mega high rises in downtown Chicago, with as many as 40 units being installed over a few days. Again, "not in Kansas anymore:)" This position was fine, but for the most part, really boring. I can not handle boring. It was basically a paycheck for me, and that was fine, but nothing exciting to talk about. The best part of the job was the schedule- like "normal" people, Monday through Friday, 8:30-5:00 (which I always got to leave between 4-4:30!).
Around the holidays, I attended a few of the Carpet Shows here in Chicago with my showroom manager, Brian, and my supervisor in Contract Sales, Alex. It was fun, because I was able to see a lot of the products I had been more familiar with while working in NC. I didn't know this at the time, but Brian was taking notes on me, as he had no idea I had a strong retail background. Come February, some changes were made with another employee, and it was announced to me that I was needed on the sales floor. To make a long story short, one of the women who had worked in the showroom for about 5 years just up and quit, with her last day being December 31st. She was gone for a few weeks, and apparently, so were her clients. One of the owners began to woo her to coming back, and wouldn't you know it, offered her my job. HUH? Am I that dispensable?
Guess so. She accepted their offer, and I was basically told I had to make a decision- come out on the retail sales floor, or start scanning the employment section. After nearly having a mental breakdown, and absolutely refusing to give up my Saturdays and go back to the retail world, I succumbed, and took the tranfer of position. This girl who came back, Renee, had actually become a friend before she left initially, so I definitely wasn't upset with her. She was actually given the impression that I wanted to make the change. She thought I would want the change, as she knew it was too quiet for me in the contract position. I also found out that the showroom manager, Brian, wanted me on his sales staff since Christmas, when he realized I was so capable with the retail market. As much of a compliment as that was, I was still unhappy about the schedule change. The showroom is open on Saturdays, with us working in a rotation of having every 4th Saturday off. We are also given one day off during the week. I was lucky, in that they gave me Monday, which still works out where I get 2 days off in a row, and then get 3 day weekends every couple of weeks.
One major deciding factor of making this change was when Renee told me what she made last year, which was just under 6 figures. Say what? I am not one to just gab about income amounts, but hello? SIGN ME UP!!! Another great plus about being on the sales floor again is the interaction with people. Not to mention great co-workers. I have some great bonds with people at work, and hang out with them when I am not at work as well. One of the guys I work with is having a dinner party on Sunday night for some of us on the sales staff. I just love them. (I still hold my love for my NC crew very high, so no one has been replaced - AS/CG/SR/RY/RY/DC/NH/ME. At least here, I don't have to worry about gray-haired witches parking their brooms anywhere:)And no RY, I have not forgotten my promise to you on shipping pizza!!!
I have been out in the showroom, and been actually doing really well. Business here in the city is a whole new animal. The showroom in which I work has a very good reputation- the company has been around since 1938, still maintaining its family business roots. We service so many aspects of the design industry, from movie sets (we just provided some pieces to the set of The Unborn with Gary Oldman) to big time interior designers (including the infamous Nate Berkus, designer to Oprah!!). I actually look forward to going into work everyday- it's always a new challenge. People come in wanting to spend money...and the best part for me is, there are enough people coming in for all 5 of us on the sales floor. Our showroom is on a very busy street in a great neighborhood, so there is constant foot traffic. The LEAST expensive product we sell is still more high end than what my previous work offered. It's just a totally different market, with much deeper wallets. Gotta love that! I spent some time today with a couple who was rug shopping- and they left faced with deciding between 2 rugs. The cost of these rugs is $28,000. Yes, you read that right.
It's rugs people- not cars.
Anyway, after many years of trying to put my degree in interior design to use, I have found the balance between design and sales with this position. I get to work hand in hand with design firms every day while still balancing my extensive background in sales. Life isn't too shabby!
Wednesday, April 2, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
I am so proud of you! You are truly a success story from good 'ol Bradley Academy. You are sooo in your element and this will probably make it really hard to come back to MD....but you ARE coming back!!!!! Maybe you can open a Peerless Imported Rugs in Georgetown then I can work for you and finally put my interior design education to use???
use them 6 figures to fly my poor ass up there! hahahaha. i too am so proud of you and happy that you are happy with your job!!!!
Now...remember that 6 figures is the goal, but starting from the ground up, I may be flying you up for my 40th bday if I wait til I make that much dough... JUST KIDDING!
Post a Comment