It was constant GO-GO-GO! When you come to Chicago for the first time, do not plan on spending much "down" time. I think the thing we did the most of was eat absolutely delicious food!
They flew in on Friday morning, pretty much left NC at the crack of dawn. I think I remember Tara telling me she woke up at like 3:30am...pretty crazy. Anyway, they successfully rode the train from O'Hare airport to downtown, and aside from the fantastic people watching that took place (praise Chi-town guidos), it was pretty calm. Once they were able to drop off their bags, they hit the musuem trail, which is only a 15 minute walk from our place. Between the planetarium and the Field Museum (great dinosaur exhibit), their day was filled.
Now, if you are a faithful reader of my blog, you will remember me talking about a restaurant opened up here run by Oprah's chef, Art Smith, called Table 52. Well, several weeks ago, I finally got through on the phone and got on the waiting list. So, Friday night, we went out for a dinner that goes down as the best meal I have had to date!!! It is the cutest place- housed in a historic coach house (pre-Chicago fire) that is only 1 room with 13 tables! Art Smith was there when we got there, but left before I made a request he stop by our table. Not to worry- the Captain was there to attend to our needs. This was a guy whose job was to make sure you are having impeccable service and top quality dining. He did his job well. When you went to use the restroom, he had someone (or himself) come fold your napkin. I mean, need I say more? We were served complimentary deviled eggs and parmesan crusted biscuits (brought out still in the pan! Then, we enjoyed pistachio crusted chicken, mashed sweet potatoes, and the best baked macaroni 'n cheese I have EVER had!!! Sorry Mom and Nannie! This pretty much put us all in a coma!
On Saturday, we took the dogs to a Fall Festival, which was another way for the dogs to show off their costumes. We switched Bella's up a bit, being that I had an alternate. She is actually not just drinking in this shot- she is bobbing for Hot Dogs!

We then hit the infamous Magnificent Mile- which was so fun for window shopping and people watching. Great Fall weather paired perfectly with Pumpkin Spice Lattes!!! Then we took a carriage ride through the streets of Gold Coast, and saw homes we could never dream of being able to afford...The dinner spot was our Deep Dish favorite hangout, Lou Malnatti's...this is also the infamously burnt pizza from my moving story. Once again, it was a hit. We left and took the train up near Wrigley Field for a comedy show. This part of town is also like Mardi Gras- and with this being the night for most Halloween parties, it was INSANE. There were some great costumes, and lots of people who probably dress like that everyday.
Sunday was football for the guys-more shopping for Tara and I...LOVE the Macy's on State Street (9 floors!! Used to be the famous Marshall Field's). You feel like a million dollars just walking through!!! Since Chris and Tara had not gone up in any of the skyscraper's, we head up to the John Hancock Observatory. Instead of paying the $14 charge to go up to the observtory deck on the 91st floor, we went up to the restaurant on the 95th/96th floor and had drinks at the Signature Room. This actually cost us less $$, and we got a phenomenal view plus great drinks!

Monday was a very sad day, as they left that afternoon. I hated for them to leave, as it was a little slice of "home" having them here. We miss our friends so much, and although we wouldn't trade this for anything right now, we wish everyone would have come up with us :)


2 comments:
Life would be so much better if we had the I Dream of Jeannie power and could just "blink" ourselves anywhere. Miss you guys!!
Don't worry...you will get your own weekend story when you guys come up!!! We can't wait!!
Post a Comment