Thursday, September 4, 2008

Finally Inked

I have been waiting since my 18th birthday to get my 1st tatoo. I remember meeting my dad right after that birthday to watch him get his third...fourth...fifth? I am really not sure, but as I went over there, I began to let my nerves take control, and I ultimately decided to wait. I had no idea what I wanted...and when I stop and think now what I would have gotten at age 18, and I KNOW I would be regretting it today.
So, fast forward 14 years, and here I am. I have been thinking about this tatoo for some time...as a matter of fact, probably a little less than 8 years, as the anniversary of my mom's passing was this past Monday. I had always envisioned getting one to memorialize her...which is SO ironic, because she hated tatoos. Even knowing that, I know she doesn't mind mine. So for those that know me well, they know I have always loved butterflies...so I knew that would be the base for this work. Then, the artist who drew this up (freehand in like 10 minutes!!) was able to grant my wishes and incorporate the word 'Mom' into the design...but not to stand out so you could see it right away. There is a 'M' in each wing, and then an 'O' in the body. LOVE it!!
It wasn't as painful as I had built it up to be, and I am already thinking about my next. Even the artist gave me praises, as he kept saying aloud how he could not believe I was being as still as I was. I knew I have a high tolerance for pain, and I didn't disappoint.
BEFORE...

Getting the spot just right...

Here we go...


I was so bored after a while, that I would have given ANYTHING for him to be done!

It only took an hour, so I cannot imagine how people stay still for that long getting bigger ones!!

This pic is actually from tonight, so most of the healing is complete.

9 comments:

Breezy said...

I love it!! So beautiful, as are you. Glad to finally see the pics. What an awesome way to forever memorialize her and have her with you (not that she's not always in your heart).

Staci said...

It is beautiful! I LOVE the story behind it and how you had 'Mom' incorporated into it. I know your Mom would have loved it too!

Gretchen said...

so beautiful cinn

Jennifer said...

i love it. it really makes me want to get another one!

Us said...

I also love butterflies and your's is really cool! Love how MOM is in there!

Stacy said...

Really neat way to memorialize your mom! Love it!

Tara said...

So, pretty, it is soo cool to me how these artist come up with these things, the design of having the m's in the wings and the o in the body. I totally see it once you describe it.

CindyLooHoo said...

Well, I gave him the idea, as I wanted to incorporate the word with the design, but he totally picked the butterfly style and colors.

Anonymous said...

FINALLY!!! Whooo Hooooo!
Another FLAHERTY has ink!!
I thought I'd be alone till the end of time!! My time anyway!!!
Love it - and the message... tell Brad his rocks too!!!
xox
the one and only -
Aunt Dawn