Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Am I in Kansas?

This posting is coming out of order from the many I am behind on right now, so bear with me...

Brad and I got home from Ohio Monday evening, after being gone all weekend. Brad had an important deadline with work, and after talking with his boss on the ride home, determined he would have to go into the office for a few hours when we got back to Chicago. We picked up the girls from boarding, and after grabbing a quick bite to eat at home, Brad headed out. I began my endless task of laundry, and took advantage of time to catch up on some DVR'd shows. I had just finished watching one of my SYTYCD, and was changing to the 2nd one I had, and caught a live weather update. It was indicating horrible thunderstorms were approaching the city from the western suburbs. The map showed an area very close to where Brad was heading, so I called him to warn him.
A little while later, I thought I heard a car alarm going off (which is not abnormal, but annoying). It sounded strange though. I muted the TV, and decided to walk out on the balcony to figure out what the noise was. I barely made it over to the railing, and was nearly blown over. Bella had followed me outside, and was positioning herself between my legs to steady herself. I was only out there for maybe 30 seconds before I realized that 'noise' was actually a tornado siren. OMG.

Across the street, I noticed people in a larger highrise closing their curtains and turning off their lights. I began to freak out and grabbing Bella to go back in, when I felt something hitting my shoulder. HAIL. Dear Lord...

I then began to completely freak out and have a meltdown. The wind was like something out of a weather channel special. I called Brad and was crying so hard, I nearly had an anxiety attack. Well, I think I did actually. He told me to grab the dogs and head down to the parking garage immediately. Only problem is, I am not the biggest fan of elevators, despite having to use one everyday... so the last thing I wanted to do was go get in one when the power was already flickering on/off. My cell phone doesn't work in the bathroom, which is where I had to go to get away from any windows. Remember? My apartment is nothing but glass!!!! Then I heard a whistling...like a locomotive coming right at me.

So, after only about 10 minutes, but what felt like hours, I called Marissa to see if she could go online and see if the storm was almost over. I really freaked her out, but it was good to hear her soothing voice and she was comforting me immensely. She told me to get in the bathtub and cover myself with a mattress, which I could not do, since we don't have I could physically carry, but I did get in there with the girls. I don't think they had any clue what was going on, just were very worried why 'mommy' was sobbing like a baby.

The thunder and lightening storm went throughout the rest of the night- which was actually quite a spectacular light show. Despite the emotional toll it took on me, I actually went outside to watch the lightening, and to thank God for not making it any worse on me.

The news reports that there were actually 3 reported tornado touch-downs, the closest about 30 miles away. I don't know what it was that came by Michigan Avenue, but it wasn't just a rainstorm.

5 comments:

Gretchen said...

Oh my word that sounds totally scary! In no time this will be a regular thing and you'll laugh about this moment. Oh don't wait for that, just move back to MD :)

Breezy said...

This is why I could not, would not live in Kansas. I could not would not with a storm, I could not would not if it was the norm...sorry, too much Green Eggs and Ham for me =) I myself am petrified of storms...phobic even. "Tonatrophobia" (give or take on the spelling a letter here and there) is fear of storms...I looked it up in my college psych class b/c I knew I was truly phobic about them.

Staci said...

I second what Gretchen said about moving back to MD! ;-)

*marissa* said...

oh my gosh, that was freakin scary!!!! i am so glad you were safe!!!!!!

Stacy said...

OMG, terrifying!