Thursday, January 3, 2008

Plain vs. Flavored

So I am driving to work this morning, and end up hitting a red light at a busy intersection packed with people bundled up waiting for buses and hopeful cab rides. I glance over at the electronic sign in the Walgreens parking lot, which shows the time and temperature, and almost choked on my coffee.

8 degrees.

Wow...I know it gets quite cold here, and has gone degrees below 0 at night so far, but as I am sitting in my warm car, drinking my warm cup of coffee, praising God for my new Uggs I am wearing (thanks baby!), I realize how good I really have it. Not that I didn't think I was blessed before, but I really have no worries in comparison to so many around me. Every morning, I pass this one particular bus stop where there is a covered bench (most of these have heaters in them, so they are quite popular), and there is always the same gentleman sitting there. His face is barely seen, as he has long facial hair covering just about every inch of his worn face. This bus stop is located in front of a Dunkin Donuts, so I often scope the people waiting as I daydream about a blueberry cake donut :)

Anyway, as usual, I am already running late to work, but I remember I still have a Dunkin Donuts gift card in my wallet I purchased before the holidays. I decide to run in (which is never "quick" being it is on the mind of every other Chicagoan trying to get warm). I purchased a cup of coffee and a donut- not for me, but for this man. I tell the woman behind the counter to pick the donut, and she picks a nice one with sprinkles.

I cross the parking lot and try to figure out what I will say to this man, as I don't want him to feel guily of any sort. I say Hi, and proceed to give him the bag with the donut, explaining that I bought an extra one this morning, and wanted him to have it. He looked elated, and opened the bag immediately. I then extended the coffee to him, telling him he couldn't eat a donut without something to wash it down (which I must admit sounded kind of corny coming out) and as he took it, he spoke for the first time. Now prepare yourself for this...

He says..."What flavor?"

Huh? "Flavor"? I am sure he read my expression, which those that know me well, KNOW my face can express A LOT! I asked him what he meant, and that is was a cup of coffee, and there was sugar in the bag with the donut. He then says to me, "I like the mocha".

OMG- WHAT????? I am now officially late to work, and cannot believe this is happening to me, as we are standing out in the frigid cold having this exchange.

Instead of saying anything else, I walk away and go back to my car. As I am leaving the little parking lot, still in shock at what just happened, I watch him get up, walk over to the trash can, and THROW IT AWAY. I have tears in my eyes now, because not only would I have enjoyed that coffee, but someone else could of as well. He wasted it. He also wasted a strangers act of kindness.

What in the world is our society doing? Not to intentionally offend anyone, but I am usually the one that views most panhandlers as people who probably just don't want to get a job. I cringe when they have their kids out doing it with them.

I did befriend a homeless man shortly before leaving Durham...Scott. He was always in the same intersection, holding his big sign that read 'Smile', when he wasn't camping out in the woods along the highway with some of his 'friends'. He has a disability with one of his legs, and from talking to him, I know he has lead a hard life. But Scott began to coming to the church I attended, and was even baptized last Summer. I still think of him often, as I know he means the best and never did he ever ask for a handout. He just wanted to live his life among the rest of us. Another blessing was how easily my church (which is the best ever-Miss you NEW HOPE) acccepted him into their family.

If I could have my way, I would have this man meet Scott. I am sure Scott could teach him a thing or two.

6 comments:

Staci said...

I'm so sorry that he did that..but what's most important and touching is your huge heart and genuine kindness. Don't let this man bring your down...put a smile on your face because you did a wonderful thing:-)

Gretchen said...

I have had a similar experience in New York when I gave a homeless man my lunch and he threw the sandwich away because he didn't want the sandwich, he just wanted money. Don't let this bring you down. That was one bad apple in the mix of many needy people. Maybe next time just give the person the gift card. :)

CindyLooHoo said...

Well, I would only expect this particular man to try and sell the gift card, with his attitude. I have definitely learned a lesson, and it has not hardened my heart or brought me down, just taught another of life's lessons.

Heather said...

once on my way to charlotte- i saw a man throw away some Wendy's I had just gotten him!! What tha?!?!

I miss you girl- when can I come to Chicago to see y'all??

serious...!!!

CindyLooHoo said...

D- you know you have an invitation anytime you can get your schedule clear to come up here! WE WOULD LOVE TO SEE YOU!!!! Make it happen!

Jennifer said...

i can't believe that! omg! however, keep in mind that god saw what you did and he credited to your eternal account! that's what really counts! maybe you will be rewarded with endless, rich, delicious coffee in heaven! hope all is well. btw, i love the brown hair:) too cute!