Friday, November 2, 2007

Some things you just don't say...

So, I was at work today and realized it was after 1:00, and had not eaten lunch. I was definitely hungry, but had forgotten to grab my bagged salad this morning, and had no idea what I was in the mood to eat in its place. I was chatting with a co-worker about places that were close by, and this guy Hector walks by and makes a comment, definitely loud enough for me to hear.

"You need to lose some weight."

Now, Hector, with his English not being the clearest, could get misunderstood for what he says. Giving him the benefit of the doubt, and thinking I had definitely not heard him right, I asked him what he said. He smiled, mumbled something in Spanish, and retreated back to the warehouse. The co-worker I had been chatting with, Karen, did not hear, but asked him to come back out after I told her what I "thought" he said. Karen speaks Spanish, and proceeded to ask him. They exchanged words, and he left again. I walked closer to her desk and asked her if I had heard him right...

I had. He had the nerve to repeat it to her, which made her upset too. As I walked back to my office, he came out of the warehouse, and said "I sorry." The only thing I could say without totally losing it was "You don't know me." I was so angry I could have hit something, but instead I let it get to me and started tearing up. I couldn't even stop the tears from coming down. Fortunately, I was able to make it back to my office, which has a door (Thank God!), and was able to compose myself.

SENSITIVE ISSUE! I have struggled with my weight ALL of my life. Family and friends can attest to this, and this is not the first time I have been picked on. Sadly, the times it has hurt the most is when it has come from family. It sucks! Every year, I seem to drop about 20 lbs, only to gain it right back. Constant rollercoastering. This is my issue, which is why it is no one else's right to say those things to me! Especially some guy who has no idea!!!!!

Sorry, but I just had to vent.

7 comments:

Valerie Trefry said...

Okay...now I am crying. This is really sad, because I am sure he knows someone close to him you also has struggled with their weight. His mother, sister, or friend possibly. And unfortunate as it is, he has probably made comments to them also. Cindy, consider yourself lucky this guy is just a coworker, not a friend! I too feel your pain. As much as I know for my own health I need to lose the weight, I just can't seem to do it and I really need to lose the weight. He is lucky, cuz if it were me I would have ripped him apart!

Benji Kelley said...

Thanks for keepin it real. And by the way, I have never thought you need to lose weight. I think you and Brad are two of the most beautiful people I know.

Love ya and still miss ya...

Peace

Heather said...

what a wiener-head Hector is. Gurl, you ain't fat, you beautiful- eat your carbs!!!
and thanks for your kind words on my blog- you always know how to make me feel inspired!!!

Gretchen said...

What a jerk!
Brush it off...get back on that horse and ride!
You are beautiful and whether you are a size 10 or 22, you are still one of my personal favorite people.

Staci said...

Who does this guy think he is? Tell him to go look in the mirror and then you'll talk.

*marissa* said...

girl, does hector need a visit from me? southern maryland would be coming out some kind of strong! that's triflin! you are so beautiful. i feel you and are right there with you. love you and am here for you!!!

Stacy said...

Girl, I cannot believe you kept it calm and didn't slap him! Please don't let that get to you. You are gorgeous.

(Tara's friend Stacy in Charlotte)