Wednesday, November 14, 2007

It's beginning to look a lot like...

That's right. Christmas is right around the corner, and coming fast. I love it.

I am not one of those that ever feels the bah-humbug syndrome- but I must say, more of those around me every year express their annoyance with the holiday season. I understand where these feelings may come from. Our society tends to blend the holidays- often encouraging Christmas Tree sales before the turkey is even put in the oven for Thanksgiving. I get excited too, but most of the pressure is felt because of the retail push, and the stress of buying presents for those on your list. The true meaning is always lost.

I noticed this morning on the way into work that they had put up street decorations- very pretty white snowflakes on the lamp posts. This past weekend, while shopping downtown, I noticed that many of the large department stores had their decorations out as well. There is even someone in our building who has their tree up already- you can see it all lit up from down on the street. Now, if anyone knows me well, you are well aware how serious I take holiday decorating-but come on, why cut the pumpkins and acorns short on their time to be decorative?

This weekend we are attending the holiday kickoff event for Chicago, where they will shut Michigan Avenue down for the big lighting ceremony. Mickey Mouse (the one and only) will lead the procession down while the lights come on- crowds will follow him down finishing with fireworks over the Chicago River. They are scheduled to have lots of live entertainment throughout the day, as well as all of the major stores will be staying open late as a kickoff to Christmas shopping. I am so excited to see all of this, as all I have ever heard is how magical Michigan Avenue, " The Magnificent Mile", is this time of year.

I will be waiting until after Thanksgiving is over to get my tree out, but I am honestly counting down the days. The Christmas holiday has and always will be my favorite- and not for the presents. I LOVE giving to other people, and really enjoy trying to come up with a gift they would have never expected. I love the anticipation and look of surprise. I also love seeing all of my family, as this is really the only time of year everyone schedules trips around our family party.

Most importantly, it is the celebration of the birth of our Lord and Saviour. This is probably the most forgotten element of the whole season. We have so much to be thankful for, and I owe this thanks to Him. Christmas Day is also the birthday of my mother, Janice, who passed in 2000. She was never thrilled to have this birthday growing up with 8 siblings, as you can only imagine it getting inadvertantly overlooked. I remember as a little kid, doing combo presents and thinking this was OK. She never minded. As most people are cleaning up the piles of wrapping paper Christmas morning, and kids are busy enjoying their new toys, my family is doing something a little different. We head outside with full hearts.

We gather in the backyard, and send off special messages via a balloon. It is probably the highlight of my day, as we all stand around, balloons in hand, and let them go up, all in a race to reach the heavens. We try our best to watch our own, praying they don't get stuck in a tree or out of sight too soon. At some point, they are no longer visible, and I feel as though she has reached down and gathered them up. A few years ago, as we had all lost sight of the balloons, we noticed the brightest rainbow in the sky. Guess she liked what she read. This will never grow old for me.

Happy Holidays!

4 comments:

*marissa* said...

i just got the warm and fuzzies reading your post! i just am so excited for the holidays too! did you hear lifehouse is performing at our little southpoint tree lighting? (it's no michigan ave, but we try!). let's just say i am counting down the days until the 22nd!!!!

CindyLooHoo said...

WOW! Naturally, the year we are not there, a group I like is the performer! You need to call me when you are there so I can feel like I am not missing it!!!

Steve&Kimberly said...

Hey,
Just wanted to say we had a blast last weekend. I'm just dissappointed no strangers on the bus secretly gave me some rufies or whatever that was.

Breezy said...

I love your family tradition...so sweet. I sit here with tears in my eyes at the thoughtfulness and tenderness of how your family celebrates Christmas and all that it means-for many reasons.