So, I don't know how I have waited so long to share this with you guys, but here it is... I am so excited again just to type it!!!!
And you know how I am... so you have to go back in the day with me when this all began...
Back in mid-November, a client came into the showroom to work on a Show House, which is a sponsored marketing house, in one of the Chicago suburbs. He looked very familiar, and I soon realized he was Oprah's hairstylist, we'll just call him "A". Oh yes, I was like a giddy child, but kept my composure, as it wasn't like he had Oprah waiting in the car or anything!!! Sidenote: I was very into candy at the time- or I should say the baby was :), so I had a candy jar on my desk filled with little boxes of Mike & Ike's and Hot Tamales... sweet and spicy goodness!!! He was enamored with this jar, just couldn't stop eating the candy, and kept telling me how he hadn't had these candies since he was a little boy. He was super nice on this visit, and I didn't really think anything about it once he left.
So, a few weeks ago, he and his partner came into the showroom to finalize some selections for the Show House, and as he walked by my desk, he smiled at me and said, "Well... where is all your candy??". My jar had been long since depleted, and had one lone Valentine's Day lollipop resting in it, which he quickly grabbed. I jokingly explained I had maintained it, but since I hadn't seen him in quite a while, I gave up hope! He commented on my now bulging baby belly, and we just chatted for a bit. Again, the NICEST man!!!
As I was sitting back at my desk, I began to think about it, and just got a surge of confidence to approach him about the Oprah show. I was honestly thinking I would just get some inside info on how to get through on the reservation line, as I have spent way too much time calling and not getting through over the years. WAY TOO MUCH!!!! So, I conveniently waited for him not to be with my store manager, and began the approach. This is how I did it... "Hey there! I hate to sound so unprofessional, but I was just wondering if you were taping right now... I just never know when to call in, and always forget to check with the website when they are taking reservations!" He replies they are taping, to which I casually laugh and say, "Oh good to know, as I can now start trying again. If I have one wish before this baby is born, it is to get into the show!!!"
He casually laughs now and says, "Oh girl, I got you."
Huh? You got me? You mean, you know what I am talking about? You know where I am coming from? Hahaha, girl you are crazy?
I stare at "A" for a millisecond, then say, "I know it sounds crazy, but I have tried for so many years and all..." I was shaking at this point. He casually says, "Well, I can certainly help you out and get you tickets!" I thanked him, and then quickly walked back to my desk, uncertain if I was going to pass out or just start crying from sheer shock. I immediately called Brad, and as I was trying to whisper in my most excited tone, think I really freaked him out thinking there was something wrong with the baby! He was super excited for me, as he knows this meant the world to me!!
As "A" was preparing to leave, his partner came over to my desk, and says, "Hey sweetie, did we get your card yet?" Of course, I had it ready in hand, with my personal email address already scrawled on it. "A" then tells me that he will email definitely by the next day with all of the info. I don't think I slept a wink that night. I even checked my email before I went into work that next day, thinking maybe he would put me before his morning coffee and bagel. Needless to say, he had emailed just as promised by midday, and soon, I was making the big decisions on who to call next, inviting them to come with!!!
Brad had told me that first night, that although it wouldn't be something he would initially want to attend, he thought it would be cool to be part of the experience. I was able to get 4 tickets, so now, with 2 spots left, the hard part came. I definitely knew my mother-in-law was next on my list. She has always been an Oprah fan, and it was last Fall when we both spent countless hours trying to get through the phone reservation line for tickets- and obviously didn't. Once I called her, and had her in total freak out mode over coming out and seeing the show, I then moved on to that 4th ticket. I only wished there were 2 more tickets, so both my grandmother and my Aunt Val could come. I called Val first, to explain the dilemma, and she immediately was just excited for me, not even thinking she would be considered. Once I mentioned how I was torn, she insisted Nannie make the trip, as it would mean so much more to her now, and she would rather have her partake in the experience. That's pure Val. I called Nannie next, and she was super excited- almost like she couldn't believe what I was telling her. Then, she was a little hesitant, as her coming out would mean she would miss a Seniors Prom she had already bought tickets for. As much as she wanted to go to that, Oprah definitely won that battle!!!
The next day we confirmed the date of the show we would attend, and the plane tickets were booked for the MD ladies. Then came the hair appointments, shopping for outfits, and just pure anticipation!!!!
Tune in next for a post about the show day!
Thursday, March 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
That's so exciting!!! Will you know when the show will air??? I will definatly take off work early that day to watch it. I wish I could have seen nanny's face when you told her...Have a GREAT time!!!!!
oh man you can't leave us hanging like that!! You best be typing part 2 right now!
love you sweetie
OMG! SERIOUSLY? You leave me at this?! Come on mama!!
Post a Comment