Thursday, March 12, 2009

All of my O Dreams came true- and then some!


March 11, 2009... a day to definitely remember!

The evening before, my grandmother and mother-in-law flew in from MD to visit with Brad and I, and most importantly, attend the Oprah show. We spent so much time debating over who was wearing what color, and getting every element just right. That Wednesday morning, we woke up very early to begin the process of getting ready- making sure every hair was in place and we were looking our best!!!

We arrive at Harpo Studios, which is only a 15 minute car ride from our place, and get in line at the audience entrance. I was nearly floating, as it still hadn't hit me that we were actually there!!! The line wasn't long, and since we were told to be there around 7:30, which it was, I was thinking we were doing pretty good. While waiting to get inside, a security guard, who looked more like secret service, came walking by, and stopped and gave Brad a funny look. I was thinking, yeah, he's here for the Oprah show- So???!!! He then asked who was in charge of the reservations. I raised my hand, and he asked me what names were given for the list. I announce each of us, and he returns inside, all the while, I am thinking, oooohhh, my connection may be paying off! A woman in the group in front of me turns around and tells me the concern from the security guy may be because this was a show for 'moms', and the audience is all women.

What???
I knew nothing about this, since most of the people showing up for that day got their tickets through a reservation line or last minute reservations online, where you are told the topic. As she was finishing telling me this, the man returns and goes to walk by me. I ask him, "Is everything ok?", to which he replies with a shrug, a smirk, and a "We'll see." Brad immediately assures me that if anything was wrong, they would have told me by then. I feel better by him telling me this, and put it aside. We enter the building, and as we are getting ready to check in our coats, we realize the rest of the 300 member audience was already inside in a waiting area, and we were in the last bunch to check in. One of the show coordinators, who checks our id's/reservations, comes along to us and after taking my name, she moves along to Brad and begins to explain to him that being this is an all women audience, he may not be able to make it into the show today. If they do get him in, he will have a 'bad' seat, an "obstructed view". As she is focusing on him, I am standing to the side just bawling. Tears just a flowing. The poor girl who is attempting to check my coat begins to console me, which somewhat makes the meltdown that much more amplified. The coordinator then realizes I am upset and immediately starts trying to calm me down- hugging me and rubbing my belly, telling me everything will be ok. She is trying to change the tone, and starts asking me about the baby and such. Brad insists that he is fine with whatever has to be done, as long as the 3 of us gals are able to make it in. She walks away after a little bit assuring us she will everything possible to make it happen!!! A few minutes later, they pull us out of line and we go through security, where they take all phones/cameras/etc. We are now in the room just outside of the studio with about 40 other people, which was perfect, as the other 260+ were all waiting upstairs, and would have to come back down anyway. They end up calling my name for our party and seating us in a select group, being we had "executive reservations". Oh my!!

Now, we didn't get front row, but being the studio was not huge, we got AMAZING seats. We were sat in the middle of the studio, where Oprah's seat was straight in front of us, and no obstructions!! I thought it was pretty perfect! It was funny to see the dynamics of how they seat people, trying to keep the audience looking diverse, and the sprinkle of colors of what people were wearing. As it got more full, they even moved people, even some out of the 1st row, trying to get it just right!!! The stage was initially set up with just one raised chair for Oprah. There was a motivational speaker who came out and got us all pumped up!! As she was talking to us all, she mentioned that there was ONE man in audience, which it felt like all eyes suddenly went to Brad. Then, she indulges the part where they approached us in line to reveal the topic and how this could effect Brad getting in, and I shed some tears. I quickly blamed Caden (sorry baby!), and she admitted that I had a good reason :) She also then acknowledged there was another guy from the stand-by line they had let in, but conveniently hid from the camera lines. She finishes with us and says it is almost time... Oprah is on her way down...

Next thing we know, the producer steps out and says, "Everyone, please welcome Oprah!!!" I can't remember being that excited over anything before!! The screams, the goosebumps, the looks on all of our faces... what a fantastic memory!!!! Of course, my mother in law and I immediately start our gabbing- oh, she got her hair straightned... she looks thinner than what I thought... she looks pretty in green! You would think we were talking about a friend of ours- too funny! We were a little delayed in starting the taping, as she had quite a few people skyping in, and one of the 'moms' was having some difficulties. Oprah was very relaxed, and just seemed so at ease... I had always imagined there to be more stress and rigidness involved. It was almost refreshing, to see this icon be so natural. She was just chatting with some of the audience members, and telling everyone how great they looked.

The show was good, and even though some of the info may have been a little much for Brad as far as woman-overload, I thought it very appropriate, as we are getting ready to take this plunge into parenthood together. It was also nice having his mom and my grandmother with us. During the actual taping of the show, they only spoke to 1 or 2 of the audience members, as the bulk of the conversations were from these skypers. The guests that day were 2 co-authors of a moms book, and then the actress Cheryl Hines came out, which was great! At the end of the taping, she reminds all of the moms at home to keep sending in their videos, which some are selected to appear on Oprah.com. She then mentions that some moms have uploaded their videos to the website with a handy flip camera, which she holds up... and to help US get started, we are ALL going home with one of our own!!!! WHAT???? We all jump to our feet and start screaming and shrieking!!! (Side note: I was too busy watching the screen behind Oprah of the random videos that had been uploaded to the website as she picked the camera up, and Brad starts doing some serious knee nudging once he saw it... he just KNEW we were getting one!!! I had been thinking, if we got anything, it would the book from the 2 women on the panel! You know, when someone mentions ever getting to go to the show, they always say they hope they get something for free, and we did!!!)

After the show, they offer a time for some more relaxed conversation, which they show on "Oprah After the Show". So, mainly it is the panel and Oprah just chatting to us about anything they didn't talk about while taping, and I just suddenly feel compelled to raise my hand. Being we are straight in front of Oprah, she ackowledges me, which then prompts the boom microphone to appear in front of me. I am praying I don't start stuttering, and just mention the fact that we are pregnant with our first child, and how after sitting through this show, and now more petrified than ever!!!! This gets lots of laughter, and even more nods and some affirmation looks, which instantly makes me feel better about raising my hand. My question for her and the panel was mainly targeting the battle I face of staying in the work force vs. staying home with our baby, and how much I struggle with that decision now as we make the preparations for his arrival. I address the many factors in our decision, economy, etc., but also mention how I have worked for more than half my life, and feel now that I have worked so hard for so long to be able to stay at home without the guilt that I should be going back to work outside of the home. Oprah immediately agrees it is a hard spot to be in, and begins to talk to me about her friend Gayle (uh yes, Oprah, I know Gayle!!!), and how she struggled with the decision. Cheryl Hines than explained to me her dilemma, being her daughter just turned 5. Oprah tells me that I really won't know until I am there- once the baby arrives. This conversation between us lasts for several mintues, and I must say, I was not even nervous as we just chatted back and forth. She ends the 'after show' a few minutes later, as she had another taping shortly after that, and had to get ready. I am floating on cloud 9 at this point!

A few minutes later, someone from legal is passing me a form to sign acknowledging I give them the right to use the conversation we just had. They start to dismiss us by section, and next thing I know, I see that wonderful coordinator who had been so nice to us in line, walking up the stairs to where we were sitting. She is carrying 2 large green gift bags, and tells us one is for Brad, and the other is for Baby. ARE YOU KIDDING???? Everyone is staring at us at this point, and I am just absolutely floored!!!! We head out of the studio, and after picking up our coats/bags/etc., we gladly accept our new gift, the free flip camera!!! I had made "A" a thank-you gift basket, which dumb me, forgot to take a pic of, but decide Brad and I will attempt to go deliver that to him while Nannie and Mom head over to the Oprah store across the street.

Brad and I walk around the corner to the main entrance of Harpo studios, and see Oprah's makeup artist, Reggie, waiting in the vestibule, chatting with one of the limo drivers. He spies the gift basket, which by the way, is filled to the brim with "old school" candy boxes (LOTS OF HOT TAMALES), and immediately starts asking us questions. He then, with a large smirk on his face, volunteers to deliver the basket himself. Uh, that would be a no!!! Playfully, I insist we wanted to wait until "A" could come down so we could thank him in person. I was worried about him being able to come down, as we were sure he was prepping Oprah for the next segment. About 15 minutes later, we see him coming down the stairs!! I introduce Brad, and "A" is just in awe of the basket- he starts laughing and telling Brad how he just loves the Hot Tamales!!! We tell him what an amazing time we had, and we couldn't thank him enough, as it really made all of us feel very special!! He was so great to help me out, and I forever grateful!

We then walk over to meet up at the O Store, and then check out the goodies in our gift bags! Brad received a Harpo Studios mug, t-shirt, and a super nice silk tie. Caden received an O Baby velour zip up and matching pants, chenille socks, and a super cute book I had my eyes on when we were in the shop!!! It was such a super nice gesture of the coordinator, the studio, just everyone involved!!! We all felt so blessed when we left- I don't think we could have had a better time!!!!!

8 comments:

Stacy said...

OMG, I am so happy for ya'll and so bitterly jealous! :)

Staci said...

What an adventure!!! I'm so happy for y'all! Sounds like soooo much fun. I can't wait to see you guys....4 weeks and counting..;-)

Breezy said...

WOW! How awesome!! Caden is famous already!!

Gretchen said...

AH!!! So awesome!!! Man oh man what a fantastic time!

Jennifer said...

what an amazing story! somehow i knew you wouldn't go unnoticed! especially since your a rock star and all :)

nicole said...

that is the coolest thing i've ever read in my whole life!!!!! how exciting!!!

Tara said...

WOW, OH WOW! I am in awe......

Breezy said...

I'm watching your episode right now! I'm looking for you!