I know everyone feels the pressure of this down-turned economy... from your work life, to your home life. It is a scary time for all, but with my faith in God, and the hope of a great change in this wonderful Nation of ours, I believe it will get better.
So, I am not sharing this story to depress any of you. I am just beginning to understand that hard times can really affect anyone- not just those with money or completely without.
I work in the main showroom of our store, with another small space across the street which houses most of the tile we carry. Rich, our "tile specialist", has operated that showroom for over 30 years. I am pretty thankful for this, as even though we have tile on our side of the street too, it is highly unorganized, and just a pain to try and sell. You often look like a fumbling idiot because nothing is marked- besides, there is just no commission structure for selling it. So, needless to say, those of us commissioned salesman send anyone we can over to Rich to bear the burden :)
Well, about mid morning, Rich comes through the front door wearing his coat and carrying a bunch of bags, one notably with a CD player hanging out of it. Huh? I have never seen Rich wear a coat, even in our frequent snowfalls, simply because he usually only comes over to run a charge card through or get a soda from the machine. Well, almost before I could get my 'What's up Rich?" out of my mouth, he says... "It was nice working with you guys.". He continues to walk towards the back of the showroom, where the owners were waiting. I assume he was turning in his keys and such, but... WHAT????? He has worked here longer than one of the owners- he's almost like a company mascot. I don't understand.
Here is a man, who has ONLY worked for this company his WHOLE life. He lives a few blocks away, and walks to work, so he doesn't drive. I don't even think he owns a car. He lost his father a few months back, so he has had a hard time. They decided that "due to the economy", they had to cut some of their overhead.
Wow... you just really never know. You are never safe, and everyone is dispensable in this economy. Just breaks my heart.
Wednesday, January 28, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


4 comments:
I don't even know this man and my heart breaks for him...it's definitely a scary time. Josh's friends are getting their offers resended all the time. A friend of mine has a friend who was offered a job in a law firm in Charlotte...they bought a house and everything, then got a call that the firm was going to have to take back their offer. I don't think I could trust an offer if Josh got one.
Yeah... I was thinking about it today, and these thoughts came to me... Rich has never been taught any computer skils, as his position never required any. So, the chances of a man in his late forties, early fifties, finding a job outside of selling tile elsewhere is slim to none. And no retail tile store is hiring right now, once again, because of the economy. I just need to keep praying for him, and that whatever direction he goes, he is happy.
That is so sad. We've had a few friends already get laid off. It totally scares me.
oh, rich :( i am so sad to hear that. you should see if he needs any help with computer skills or for looking for a new job maybe? i'll be praying for him!
Post a Comment