Originally, my brother Greg and sil Sandy were supposed to pick up from the airport, but since our flight had been so delayed, only Greg was there waiting for us. So, we broke the news to him first, which I would say he was surprised, but not shocked, as he knew we had been talking about it. I think the shocking part for him was that we were already almost 4 months... and the fact that I talk to him about every other day, he was pretty amazed I had not leaked this info to him already.
We got to their house around 2:30 am, and of course, Sandy was in bed, as she had to work the next morning. Oh well! We woke her up anyway, as this news could obviously not wait any longer. After she got up and we got all of our hugs out of the way, I simply told her if she was going to be the best aunt ever, she needs to be up and ready for our arrivals.
Pause...give her a few seconds. Oh boy!! She got it pretty quickly, and immediately hugged me like there was no tomorrow. This was worth the long wait in telling anyone. Of course, one of the first things after it settled in was, "Are you moving back home?"
We got a lot of that.
Our next announcement was waiting at my dad (aka Paw Paw) and Marla's (aka Moo Moo), which we had already planned out as well. For all of the parents, we had bought the picture frame ornaments, and put the cutest picture of the dogs in it...

We also had framed a copy of our 8 week sonogram, and had that as a 2nd gift. So, naturally, after opening the 1st, it was assumed the 2nd was from the girls too!
Immediately, Marla screamed, "Oh my gosh, she's pregnant!!" My dad just gaped at both of us, mouth hitting the floor! He then pretended to have a heart attack, which is so the comedian my father is! It was a great moment... most of my brothers were there (5, counting my 2 new step brothers!), so it was amazing to be able to share that with them. Of course, leave it to my dad to also mention he was thinking something was up, as I must have looked a little "different". Ahhh... family.
We left there and went to my house (where I grew up) to break the news to my stepfather, his girlfriend Leslie, and my 2 youngest siblings Alex and Courtney. We did the frame thing again, and I think this round, every one was a little in shock.

I had Courtney open the pic of the sonogram, and I don't think it quite registered.

She showed Ken, which took him a second, but as he got it, Leslie saw and immediately started hugging and was super excited. It was such a weight off of our shoulders, as we caught them up on the past several months! Leslie, being the planner she is, immediately started thinking about the shower. She is so funny!
So, we spent Christmas Eve and Christmas morning with them, and then it was off to Brad's parents. Now it was Brad's turn to shock and awe. We get down to the "compound" (haha), and since we were the only kids able to make it there for Christmas day, they were anxious and ready to do some celebrating. We made small talk for a little while, and then made a big deal about how we promised the girls we would make sure they opened the gift from them right away. It worked.
They were born to be grandparents, and they don't discriminate against their grandpuppies!!! It was a perfect moment. They were standing in front of us, with Brad recording a video on his phone.
They opened the second present, and almost immediately, Brad's dad (aka Grand Dude) looked at Brad with the BIGGEST smile on his face, and I just knew he got it. Brad's mom (aka Grammy) looked up at me, then back at the frame, and then looked up and said the cutest thing... "Really?" Her voice was trembling, and she repeated herself. I then said, "Yes, grammy!" She immediately ran across the room in tears and gave me the biggest embrace- meanwhile, Brad's dad was embracing him. It was such a great Christmas!!! Mom was so cute, as she ran from me to Brad, her arms just a waving, and they both could barely catch their breath!!!! We felt the same way- there was nothing like being able to share this with them.With the whole family. We are truly blessed with the family and friends we have. We have some of the greatest supporters of all, and we are so thankful!!!!
I will have to continue this post on how we broke the news to the rest of my family at the annual Drew Christmas Party... my fingers need a 15 minute break!!!


2 comments:
Okay - It has been much longer than 15 minutes. I want to hear the rest....oh yes, I was there. I still can't believe you kept it a secret for so long. I know I already knew all of what I just read, but you know me...I cried. Love you
oh I am balling over here. Love all of the stories...so wonderful!
Post a Comment