Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I never miss a Sale!

Brad's parents had definitely been wanting to come up for a visit since we moved here last Fall, so when I forwarded an email to Brad's mom a few months ago leaking news of a sale, there was no more hesitation!

The Annual VERA BRADLEY Outlet Sale in Ft. Wayne, Indiana!!!!! To those of us that are V.B. fans, this is a monumental event that many cannot partake in due to location. I remember reading the email last year and daydreaming of attending. Those that know me well know that I am at my best shopping a sale- I was made to sniff out a bargain. The sale began on Wednesday, 4/30, but we planned on spending Thursday, 5/1 doing our tour of the sale.

We woke up at 5am, and left my place around 6:15am. After making a quick Starbucks run, we hit the highway, full steam ahead. It took us roughly 3 hours to get there, but was a fun drive, allowing us plenty of time to have girl talk and catch up. We pulled into the parking lot of the Ft. Wayne Colliseum, which was HUGE! The parking lot was very crowded since the sale had started with an early bird session from 5-7am, and then re-opened at 8am. It was about 9:45, so we had time we needed to make up!

The sale was VERY organized, so when you walked in the entrance you were handed a map (you know it's good when you need a map). Then there were tables as far as the eye could see! Mounds and mounds of V.B. patterns- OH MY, so much to choose from!
Mom and I ran around to find the things that were on the top of the list, but quickly found we were being pulled in a million different directions. This was no joke.

After being there for just a short while, I noticed a crowd on one side of the arena, and found out the people were waiting for the workers to re-stock the Pet Porters, which were small dog carriers. They retail for $90, and the sale had them priced at only $10! Needless to say, the ebayer in me kicked in overdrive. I knew these carriers could barely fit my dogs' heads, so I would have no other need for them. They had run out of stock on the table, and people were getting very impatient waiting for these workers to bring more out. VERY impatient. I soon realized that it was going to take a little muscle to get one. When a worker did get close to me, and began to release about 6 onto the table, women were lunging and snatching. After a little while, I eventually got my hand on some, only to have the first 3 ripped out of my hands...literally. Are you serious? I eventually got one, winning a kind game of tug and war (nearly pulling a woman across the table that seperated us). Guess she didn't know my strength- or endurance.
I stood around for a little while trying to get some for these adorable elderly women who had been standing around as long as I had. They kept telling me that if they got more than one, they would definitely pass one my way. I was able to score a few more, after being punched in the right shoulder and breaking a fingernail. Oh well, my new "friends" were very appreciative.

My oh my...it was downright crazy. There were actually some in tears after they ran out of them...for like the third time. As the day wore on, they kept announcing they were bringing more carriers out, which I truly felt was created just to up the "need" factor. By the end of the day, they had enough carriers that they could have easily fulfilled all of those that wanted them, but instead, to increase the hype, offered them in spurts.

It was designed so everything was set up in the middle, and the perimeter was where you sat to sort through your bags. They were people camped out everywhere, with the piles of unwanted items often 2' high. After a few hours, scouring those "rejects" scored you some of the things that had been sold out earlier in the day. Mom took a picture of these women who were just one out of MANY who had large piles nearly swallowing them! I am in the picture below sitting among our bags of "keepers" and studying the map trying to decide whether I want to make a last trip back around.

Mom and I were able to get some fabulous gifts, but most importantly, goodies for ourselves!!!It was the best time, and we have made a promise to make this a yearly event- whether I am living out here or not. Totally worth the trip, and we are already making our list for next year.

Please note- I am not taking orders- you will have to just come with us and experience it for yourself!!!!

6 comments:

Staci said...

I'm soooo jealous! This sounds like so much fun. I'm in for next year!

CindyLooHoo said...

No backing out now!!! And since it's close to your birthday, it will be easy for you to remember!! :)

Tara said...

OH MY GOSH! SOOO JEALOUS TOO! And you went back to see ART. I hope Chris and I can come back up before u guys move and before u run out of room in the condo:)

CindyLooHoo said...

Oh don't you worry...nothing crowding us YET! And yes, Art says hi. Please come see him soon!

Gretchen said...

I am cracking up. The pg county came out of cindy !

CindyLooHoo said...

Total Ghetto style in Fort Wayne, for sure!