Sunday, May 11, 2008

This city...

Brad and I spent the day doing some spring cleaning and also relaxing catching up on some DVR'ed shows.
I was watching an Oprah show from last week, where she had Gayle King on talking about the best sandwich shops across the country. Wouldn't you know it- she visited Allen and Son's Barbecue in Chapel Hill, NC!! Oooohhh...made me miss my "old home". Definitely something that cannot be matched- that bbq!!! Funny because just the other day I was craving a barbeque sandwich, and the restaurant everyone was ordering from at work had it on their menu. I was so excited, until the girl at work came over to me and said when she was placing the order, the restaurant told her they "could not give me a side of slaw with my sandwich. It was only offered for the hamburgers." Huh? I told her I would pay for it as a side order, and she looked so confused and frazzled- I told her just to forget about it.

Well, when it arrived, I could see why they were puzzled. It was not the BBQ I was used to- this was like sliced roast beef smothered in BBQ sauce. Oh my. I guess I will add this sandwich to the list of "Things I must do/have while in NC this summer".

At the end of the Oprah show, she had a sandwich cook-off with some popualr chefs. As part of the contest, they sent the groups to a Whole Foods to get their needed ingredients. That was MY Whole Foods!! When they scan from them to the store, you could actually catch a glimpse of my building in the background!!!

Then, next on the list of things to watch was the Ellen Show they taped in Chicago last Saturday. She is so hysterical, and to see her brave the not so warm Spring weather was humorous. Nevertheless, she showed her love and had some great shots of the city on there. We had visited her set the day before she taped (see entry below), so to imagine there were 1500 people there to watch the show was insane!!!!

2 comments:

Breezy said...

Yeah, I caught a glimpse of Gail at Allen & Sons...what's up with wearing the DOOK shirt in Chapel Hill...someone should have known better!! BBQ just ain't the same unless it's from NC!

*marissa* said...

haha-can i get some slaw on the side? i can't wait for your visit down here :)

and once again, i notice you did not go to church. i think you need to stop blogging on sundays if you don't want my harassment. hahaha.