Friday, April 17, 2009

BUSY, BUSY, BUSY AS A BEE

Oh, nesting mode is in full swing.

I have been tackling small projects to prepare for Caden's arrival, and none that probably needed to be done right now, but you all know how it is... you set out to do one thing, and then the domino effect happens, and pretty soon, the whole house is upside down. Going from a 2 bedroom, with one of those being used as a guest room/catch-all...to both rooms being used as full-time bedrooms...AAAAHHHHH! Where in the world am I supposed to put everything? I just can't wrap my head around making Caden's room anything other than the nursery of MY dreams. Where is the crime in that??? I have been waiting a long time to design a nursery, and just can't imagine trying to cram a bunch of "stuff" in there that doesn't go.


After much debate over nursery furniture, we have taken the plunge and ordered everything!!! I was stressing a few weeks ago, wondering where in the world we were going to put everything. The concept of letting little Caden sleep in dresser drawer was becoming more appealing!! :) I even measured the room, and made a scaled drawing including colored furniture templates. How 'Cindy', right?? Well, that was slightly depressing, as it only proved we were planning to try and fit in too much. We we originally wanting to purchase a black wood daybed, which could help serve to sleep guests, as well as match the rest of the decor. Well, considering this would have taken up an entire wall, we quickly had to refigure, as that would only leave us with the opposite wall to place his furniture. See, being we are a corner unit condo, with floor to ceiling windows, the options are rather limited. The North wall in his room is ALL windows...the South wall is the door, closet (which juts into the room), and a small wall next to the door... this leaves us the East and West walls.

We had picked out furniture from Babies R' Us, and being we are going with black wood, we didn't have too many options to begin with. We selected a crib (obviously, we were not going to let him sleep in a dresser drawer), which is the absolute greatest because it turns into a toddler bed... and then a great full size bed with headboard and footboard!!!!! I just heard a lot of coins drop into a piggy bank for the future savings on that one!!!!!! Thanks to Grammy/Mom F for purchasing that for little Caden. Then, we got a long dresser, which will house the changing pad on top, as well as a tall armoire/dresser (chifferobe). We scored some really great coupons, found the dresser and chifferobe on sale, and ended up saving an additional 20% off!!! We felt like we had won the lottery.

Now for the cherry on top... we had also picked out this black wood blanket chest, which would serve as a toy box also. When we added it to our registry, it was $99, but when we went to BRU the other night, they had it marked down to $79. The manager had given us a coupon for $25 off a $50 purchase, so we were all over it! THEN, they guy told us it was the last one, as it had been clearanced out from the warehouse... and he would give us an additional 20% off. OMG- these are the kinds of things that just get my blood racing! So, we saved the 20%, used the coupon mentioned above, and was able to use another coupon I had for 15% off. We paid $32 in the end.

Tonight, we are going to buy paint for his room, and tomorrow Brad will have the daunting task of taking apart the queen size bed which will be put in storage and getting the painting done. Then, on Sunday, we are renting a small U-Haul to take the bed over to storage, and then going up to the BRU to pick up the rest of the furniture. We would just use our car, but being we BARELY fit the long dresser in the other night, it would take us like 3 more trips!!!!

I cannot wait to get going on all of this, and promise to gets pics up as soon as we have something completed!!!

5 comments:

Valerie Trefry said...

Yay!!! I was starting to worry you were never going to post. A bit overwhelmed huh? Please tell me Brad will get some help with the mattress moving? I heard he wasn't feeling so well and I do hope he feels better sooner than later. Love you both - and Baby Caden:)

Breezy said...

I can't wait to see pictures!!

Jennifer said...

can't wait for pics!

Tara said...

Where are my pics of the paint, lady!

Gretchen said...

wow that is an awesome deal!!!! Love when that happens :)