Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Losing Weight can be Yummy

Brad and I are back on the Weight Watchers track once again...and this time, we are taking the slow and steady approach. We both have large amounts we want to lose, and know it can't be done in a few months. With that said, we are trying to be as creative as possible with our menus, and vow to not get into a rut with our meals. Losing weight is hard enough, but you can still eat and it not feel like you are "dieting". I guess it really is a lifestyle change. You would think that after 14 years of doing WW on and off (more time off ;), and even becoming a lifetime member, I would know this by now!!!!!

I wanted to share this recipe that I made for dinner last week, and am honestly thinking it may be a regular meal for us...it was sooooo yummy!!!! We had our friend Maria over for dinner to try it out, and she asked for the recipe, so it prompted me to share for all :) Enjoy!!!


Mexian Meatloaf

Points Value: 3
Servings: 6
Preparation Time: 15 min
Cooking Time: 65 min

Ingredients:
* 1 spray(s) cooking spray
* 1/2 lb raw extra lean ground beef (I actually only use ground turkey, so I did without the beef)
* 1/2 lb lean ground turkey breast
* 2 large egg whites
* 2 oz. cornbread stuffing dry mix (about 1 cup)
* 1 medium onion, chopped
* 1/2 tsp chili powder
* 1/4 tsp ground cumin
* 4 oz canned green chili peppers, diced (I actually just purchased a can of whole jalapenos (they are more flavorful if you chop them yourself; and ended up chopping up 2, as I don't care for spicy dishes...it was plenty!)
* 8 oz canned enchilada sauce (red)


Instructions:

* Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Coat a broiler pan with cooking spray.

* In a large bowl, mix beef/turkey, egg whites, stuffing mix, onion, chili powder, cumin, chilies, and half of enchilada sauce together. Shape into an oval with your hands and place on broiler pan.

* Cook for 1 hour, top with remaining enchilada sauce and bake for 5 minutes more. Slice into 6 pieces and serve.

* Note: with the low points, we had 2 servings each, and I also made refried beans and spanish rice...so very yummy!

2 comments:

Breezy said...

Please keep posting these Josh friendly recipes!! I'm having such a hard time trying to figure out how to keep him fed and me on WW. Meals like this he would definitely eat!! I'm so excited to try it!!

CindyLooHoo said...

Not a problem!!! I love searching for new things to try, and it is great when I find recipes that are super filling, yummy, and CHEAP!!! ;) Trying a new one tomorrow...chicken dish, but has Brad's fave ingredient...bacon!