We join the story on Wednesday, Sept. 5th...
So, Greg and Sandy have left us at this point, and we are definitely realizing the big change that is upon us. Having family with us almost made it surreal, so back to reality now. Brad spends 3 hours interviewing with a big-time advertising agency, Upshot, right in the heart of downtown. I, assuming my role in unpacking the apartment (I prefer it this way :), stay pretty busy while he is gone. He has good news- they have explained to him that while they are scheduled to interview more candidates, they want him to begin a freelance position the very next day. Whatever gets him in the door at this point!
We had a brief visit from the real estate agent, Andrea, who helped us acquire the condo, which was great to finally put a face to the voice. (We only used the internet to rent this place, so we had put a lot of trust in this stranger!) After she left, we decided to catch the sunset while relaxing on the balcony... very picturesque! Since we didn't have means to cook a decent meal, we decide to head out and grab a bite at one of the restaurants nearby. I head inside to feed dinner to our girl Sadie, and what do you know, the balcony door will not open. I glance at Brad, who obviously thinks I am joking, and continue to tug away. Nothing. Not believing me, he gets up and proceeds to make attempts for at least 15 minutes. Now, remember, we don't know anyone in our building yet (other than our landlord/mafia leader John), so we start to imagine our loyal firefighters in the big ladder truck coming back to our rescue. We spend the next hour basically wondering if this is a sign, and trying to figure out if we can afford the cost of replacing one of the 11' windows!
We suddenly realize that we have one hope in someone coming to our rescue... Andrea. Brad places the call, and since we had filled her in on our "luck" up to this point, she obviously could not believe what we were telling her. She had gone off to an appointment, but promised to head down as soon as she could. We make the most of it, enjoying the weather while trying not to completely die with embarrassment. Since we live in a secured building, and you have to have a key, she could not get in without calling another agent who represents the owner of the unit. Great- she has now has company in realizing what idiots we are. This guy gets her access into the building, and THANK GOD, we had left our front door open!!! They come in and explain that as much as they were happy to help out, they can't hang around for fear of our bad luck passing to them! Understood!
Oh boy, what else!!!!
So, Brad works a busy 2 days with this new company, and being that I don't start my new job until the 10th, have plenty of time to work on getting settled. Friday night we go out to grab a bite (beginning to get old at this point), and to our surprise, there was a illegiblly scrawled note taped to the driver side window of our car. The English was broken, but read, "Is it private parking space m-f'er (spelled out). Hope understand." Huh? We are very confused, as we are well aware it is private parking, being you have to have a garage opener to get in, and the space was assigned to us when we leased the unit. We decide to just go to the leasing office associated with the building the next morning and ask some questions. Nothing that can't wait.
Well, maybe not. Brad heads out Saturday morning to Home Depot to get a few things, and finds our car completely blocked in. There is a black PT Cruiser parked behind our car, as well as the cars on either side of us! He calls me, and we decide to meet at the Century 21 office downstairs. The agent who we explain the situation to decides he wants to go up and look at this car, maybe to get some more information on the vehicle. He also recommends we add a note of our own basically asking this person to contact us, as there has obviously been some misunderstanding. While we are standing there, this guy walks around the corner, noticeably slowing his strut once he sees all of us. Immediately, we exchange "Is this your car?" He begins to explain that he pays for this space with his lease, and this has happened before, hence the kind words in the note, and he is tired of it. We defend our case by telling him that we are paying for the same spot, and this is not our fault. This guy tells us that he has to get to work, but he had his roommate run a copy of the lease down with the parking space on it. Sure enough, he is right. Back in the agent's office, I am waiting for someone to tell me where we can park now, and this woman comes in requesting the copy of the lease for 'Luis'. I immediately jump up and give my apologies for having caused any inconvenience and explain that the management had double leased the space. But, of course!
She tells me that he, referring to Luis, will be gone soon, and I can have the space then. "Oh,", I say, "he is moving from the building?" She tells me that once the season is over, he leaves. Ok... now, I am very familiar with the whole 'snow-bird' thing, but this guy was maybe 30 years old, so I look at her very confused. She says, in what I would also consider broken English, "He play for White Sox." Excuse me? I just almost got into a fight with a Professional Baseball Player????? Not to say he is heading to the Hall of Fame (since I have since heard he isn't worth the salary they pay him), but how cool is that???? Suddenly, the language in the note loses its forcefulness!
Ok...so now we have been temporarily re-directed to another parking space in the garage, and have also removed the locks from both of the doors leading to our patio :)
Things have been going pretty smooth since then...I think we had tapped out all of our bad luck for the year!!!!
I have since started my new job as Project Manager with Peerless Rugs, and am absolutely loving it!!! It is a family-owned business that has been open since 1938, and has a great reputation throughout Chicago. My work schedule is 8:30-5, but have usually get off around 4 every day (no complaining here). Also, my boss is very laid back, and is not much older than me, so it makes the atmosphere super comfortable. It only takes me 20 minutes to drive to work, which I drive along the lake and enjoy the views!! I can also wear jeans to work- ahhh...heaven!!! The store is in a charming neighborhood called Lakeview, which is within 3 blocks of Wrigley Field. Brad and I even got to experience our 1st Cubs game last week (we got free tickets through my work, and went with my boss). What a time- Cubs fans are crazy, and it was a very pivotal game in the series, so everyone was overly pumped!! Lots of fun!!!
Brad is still freelancing with Upshot, and has been 'wowing' them since day 1!!! He's been there 3 weeks, and we are just praying they extend a full-time offer to join their company permanently. The majority of graphic designers he has worked with at this company began freelancing before landing a position with the company, so this is the norm. He is getting amazing opportunities, such as helping design the logo for the Daytona 500 for Miller Lite. Miller Lite and Disney Cruise Lines are 2 of the bigger accounts this company represents, so very exciting!!! He also has a laid back work attire (heaven for him as well), and works from 9:30 am-6pm. He's had some late-nighters, but it's all part of the job and he loves it!!!! He is able to catch a bus in front of our building, and 20 minutes later is dropped off right in front of the building where he works. Not bad!!! Public transportation is so great in Chicago, with the trains and the bus, and everything is SOOO accessible from where we are.
Now that I have done these chronicles, I am seriously contemplating starting my own blog...something I never thought I would ever consider. I will keep everyone posted!!!
Also, I am sending pics of our condo before our stuff got in there- and will update in just a bit after I can get my Fall decorating done :) Those that know my obsession with pumpkins realize how important it is that this is done before sharing!!!
Alright, I am signing off for now, and hope you all have been entertained with our journey thus far!!!
Saturday, September 29, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment